Our Commenting Policy ---///--- Our Blog Tips
April 9, 2014
BOULDER, Colorado - Boulder police say a convicted sex offender has been stabbed by a masked attacker for the second time in eight days.
Police say 26-year-old Zachary Meints told investigators he was stabbed by a male assailant wearing a bandana over his face as he walked in downtown Boulder just before 3 p.m. Tuesday.
He said he couldn't identify the attacker who thrust a folding knife into his abdomen in the 2100 block of Pine Street.
Meints told police he tried to spray the attacker with pepper spray, but believed he missed. The attacker fled toward to the east and officers searched the area without success, police said.
"Meints drove himself to a local emergency room for treatment. The wound does not appear to be serious," Boulder Police spokeswoman Kim Kobel said in a news release on Tuesday night.
The attacker was described as a white man who was wearing a black-and-white bandana over his face and a long-sleeve black shirt. He was 5-feet-10-inches tall and weighed about 175 pounds.
Accused killer Jared Remy told investigators from the Middlesex Sheriff’s Office, “I did what I had to do — I got a child molester,” when he allegedly threw scalding water in the face of fellow detainee Jemery Hodges before a fight with a green plastic chair, soap and his fists, according to court documents released today.
“I had a plan and I did it. I took water, boiling hot water, and threw it in the guy’s face. I took a piece of soap and threw it at the guy’s face and hit him with a chair. Once I slipped, I punched him in the face,” Remy reportedly said during a videotaped interview following the incident Thursday morning in an overflow room of the Special Management Unit at the Cambridge jail, records state.
Hodges, 27, was watching television when Remy snuck up on him, a report by Sheriff Peter Koutoujian’s Investigations Unit states. The violent dustup was captured by surveillance video, the report states, and reportedly shows Remy striking Hodges with the chair five times with “overhead swings.”
Hodges was treated internally for burns on his face and cuts to his left hand.
April 1, 2014
On a pleasant, partly sunny afternoon, an armed security guard stood watch over an apartment building in the Hubbard Farms neighborhood in southwest Detroit.
The guard wouldn’t say why he was there. But behind him last Tuesday, scrawled onto the ornate stone facade of the building on West Grand Boulevard, the word “rapist” could still be seen, even after efforts that morning to scrub it off. A faded blue arrow sprayed above the graffiti letters still pointed to an apartment window, still condemning whoever lived in that first-floor home.
But the 43-year-old occupant wasn’t there any longer. His family moved him, afraid he’d be killed.
Inside the homes on these tight-knit blocks and along the thriving businesses and vacant storefronts of Vernor Highway in Detroit’s Mexicantown, the former resident of that apartment is widely believed to be a rapist. His accuser is a 15-year-old girl who, as the streets have it, was cajoled into his apartment on July 17 and attacked. She’s from the neighborhood, too. She has Down syndrome. The neighborhood is furious.
The man has not been charged. Police still are investigating. And last Monday, nearly three weeks after the alleged attack, frustration over the slow pace of justice went from simmer to boil.
During the lunch hour, people located the man, whose name and image had been circulated in the community, walking along Vernor. They beat him repeatedly. Witnesses at one point saw five attackers. At least one had a baseball bat. The man spent several hours in the hospital that day and then went into hiding.
Now the community is torn. Some residents are horrified and wonder how this vigilantism happened. Others have applauded the attackers, posting hallelujahs on Facebook. The Free Press spent last week interviewing neighbors and witnesses and talking to police and prosecutors to piece together how it all came to this.
March 21, 2014
UPDATE 3-25: See last article "what beaten fellow said" -v- "What perpetrators claim"3-21-2014 Wisconsin:
Two men and two women beat a man and left him to be attacked by wolves in the northern Wisconsin woods after accusing him of inappropriately touching a child, prosecutors said Wednesday.
Raymond Jones, 45, his wife April, 38, their son Justin Bey, 21 and his friend Samantha McClellan, 18, were charged with attempted first degree intentional homicide, kidnapping and several other felonies, prosecutors said in a criminal complaint.
The four are accused of beating the man, age 40, at the Jones' house on March 10 and 11 in Wabeno, about 95 miles north of Green Bay, before hauling him to nearby woods and beating him again, the complaint said.
The man's name is being withheld because he is a victim of an alleged crime.
The man, who was a friend of April Jones and had been staying at the house, sustained fractures to his face, a broken nose and jaw, and two broken ribs, according to the complaint.
The group told investigators they left him in the woods where they hoped wolves would attack him, the complaint filed in Forest County Circuit Court said.
March 12, 2014
TWIN FALLS - A man convicted of felony aggravated battery for beating a 69-year-old man was sentenced Monday in Twin Falls County District Court.
Bradley Houser, 35, was sentenced to the state's retained jurisdiction program. He will attend the Correctional Alternative Placement Program through the Idaho Department of Correction.
After the program, a judge can either put Houser on probation or send him to prison for an underlying sentence of three to 15 years.
Houser was also ordered to reimburse the county public defender's office for $500 and was ordered to pay victim's restitution of $1,257.44.
Police said Houser beat the man because he is a registered sex offender.
Deputies in Shasta County have located the man wanted for questioning in a shooting that left the victim in critical condition.
Wednesday night the Shasta County Sheriff's Office released a surveillance photo of the man who dropped off the victim at Mercy Medical Center in Redding Wednesday afternoon. They also released surveillance images of the silver pickup truck the man was driving.
Thursday morning, investigators said the man has been located and he was being questioned.
The gunshot victim was shot several times in the torso.
Deputies did not release the victim's name, but said he underwent emergency surgery and was listed in critical but stable condition.